Nutritional Risk Assessment Camp-2022
Importance of Nutrition Assessment?
With a recent and ever-progressive increase in chronic diseases such as obesity, diabetes, hypertension, and osteoporosis, it has become inevitable to address the effect of dietary choices on health. The genetic makeup of an individual may be a contributor to chronic diseases but studies have shown that appropriate nutrition may help in prevention and management of these medical conditions. Cure through nutrition symbolizes the meaning of the very common phrase “Prevention is better than Cure”.
The professionals and the students of the department of FSHN, UVAS understand the significance of Nutrition Assessment and its role in raising awareness about the importance of healthy dietary and lifestyle choices. In the light of this understanding, the Food and Nutrition Society (FNS), under the supervision of Dr. Muhammad Shahbaz, Assistant professor FSHN, organized a Nutritional Risk Assessment Camp at Human Nutritional Clinic, UVAS, city campus, Lahore.
To assess the health status of the visitors, assessment covered in the camp included:
- Anthropometric measurements (height, weight, Body Mass Index)
- Body Composition Analysis (lean mass, fat mass, general body composition)
- Bone Mineral Density Test (health status of bones i.e. normal, osteopenia, osteoporosis)
- Blood Glucose Measurement (random blood glucose levels)
- Clinical Examination (physical examination of skin, eyes, nails, hair, and eating patterns)
- Dietary History (Examination of the type and quantity of food the client is consuming)
- Nutritional Counseling of the visitors (Guidance regarding modification in diet and lifestyles.)
The camp was held on the 13th of January 2022 and continued from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM. The response was tremendous. Students from all departments of UVAS, teaching staff, non-teaching staff, and friends and family members of the students joined the camp. More than 300 participants were screened in the Camp.
After the anthropometric measurements, visitors were checked for blood glucose levels and blood pressure. Nutritional focused clinical examination was covered by final year students to assess micro-nutritent deficinces. On the basis of all clinical examination visitors were assessd by Body Composition Analysis. Before heading for the counseling session, patients underwent the Bone Mineral Density (BMD) test.
In the counseling booth, our trained dieticians provided them with nutritional diagnoses by interpreting their nutrition assessment and with the appropriate counseling to help overcome their health issues, if any.
Each nutrition assessment test was assigned a booth where the relevant instruments and tools were available for examination. The FNS team volunteered to guide the patients through the booths. The promotional campaign for the event was initiated a week ago. Social media posts and poster distribution played a crucial role in promoting the event
- Nutrition Assessment helps the public in determining their health status and provides them with the appropriate counseling to improve their lifestyle and health.
- Chronic diseases can be prevented by giving up an unhealthy lifestyle and opting for a nutritious diet and healthy lifestyle
Posted on: Jan 27, 2022